It wouldn’t truly be a super bowl series of recipes if I didn’t add in a cocktail in here, am I right?
I’m a big supporter of happy hour, but I also need to find a balance with cocktails. I love the fruity drinks, but absolutely hate the headache that comes with those fruity drinks. So, to cut back on that ‘sugar hangover’, I’ve started to make a lot of my own cocktails with swaps to lower them in calories, but also sugar. (When I go out to a bar, I swear by grapefruit vodka + water + a lemon wedge.)
When I was up in South Carolina for my little sister’s graduation, she got me hooked on Effen Cucumber Vodka. I love the subtle taste of cucumber mixed with water, so I knew it would go really well with a refreshing cocktail.
**note- French vanilla stevia extract is pictured, but I realized my mistake and subbed it out for this regular stevia extract.
A huge tip if you’re making your own cocktails to help with that sugar hangover is to create your own simple syrups by using real fruit. Also, I never use artificial sweeteners, but rather ones found in nature, such as honey or that stevia extract.
This will help a lot to make your drinks not have that artificial fruit taste, but also you’re giving it natural sugars + fiber from the fruit, so it will help you out the morning after.
The recipe below is for 2 servings, but you can easily make a pitcher to share! I’d just keep these measurements in mind and adjust accordingly.
- -2 large frozen strawberries
- -3 oz cucumber vodka
- -3 droppers of Stevia extract
- -4 oz water
- -4 oz Perrier sparkling water
- -Slice your frozen strawberries + cook them down in a pan with the Stevia extract until the juices are all extracted (mashing the berries once they've cooked down)
- -Allow simple syrup to cool + then add to a cocktail glass
- -Pour in cucumber vodka
- -Top with waters [**note: if you like drinks more fizzy, add 8 oz of the Perrier and omit the water - if you like drinks flat, add 8 oz of water and omit the Perrier. I like drinks mostly flat with just a splash of fizz**]
- Serve over ice with a cucumber garnish!
-Questions for you-
- What’s your go-to drink order?
- Are you more of a beer or cocktail drinker?